Thursday, November 18, 2010

Flowers for Algernon First Part Response

I thought Flowers For Algernon is a good book so far. The main character is Charlie Gordon. He is a retarded person with an I.Q. of 63. I felt bad for him since he is such a nice person and everyone is so mean to him. He wants to have an operation done on his brain. I thought that this was a little sci-fi more than realistic things. I also thought how could someone get so smart off of some operation on his brain, I believe that it will backfire. He talks about a “raw shok” test. Charlie, when doing the test, tries to look for images inside the inkblots. I thought it was funny how he looked really hard for pictures inside of the inkblots. I also thought it is interesting how people use the Rorschach test, and how it works. I believed that Charlie’s friends Joe and Frank were very mean. They were mean because they took him to a bar and ditched him! Who would do such a thing? I really hated his friends after that. Charlie met many people including a mouse, yes a mouse, named Algernon. They did the surgery on Algernon before they did it on Charlie. He was the most successful experiment in the scientists’ experiments. Their experiments actually increased the I.Q. score of Algernon, and would hopefully do so to Charlie. Overall, this first part of the book was great. It had a little bit of everything, and hopefully after Charlie’s surgery he will become smart like Algernon and everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment