Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Awakening Response

The Awakening was a great book that described what women were going through in the late 1890s. The book started out on Grand Isle down by New Orleans. The main character, Edna, was talking to another person, Robert. Edna talked about  how the ocean remind her of the Kentucky bluegrass fields; Robert talked about striking it rich in Mexico. I thought it was interesting how the book started off this way. Later, Edna is relaxing when her husband tells her that the kids have a fever. I really thought it was different how she didn't even respond to what he said. I believe that is when Edna started thinking for herself other than other people. The author even shows that when Edna moves from their elegant palace to a pigeon house across the street, for she wanted a small place just to get away from reality. I really thought that it was kind of good for her to think of herself. But soon, Robert returns and Edna falls in love with him and actually begins to dislike her husband. I thought it was cool how she found a new love. I thought that the end was very weird though. I really don't understand why she drove herself to suicide.

No comments:

Post a Comment