Monday, February 7, 2011

Chapters 8 and 9 of The Great Gatsby

Chapter 8

Chapter 8 of The Great Gatsby was very interesting. I thought how interesting it was for Gatsby to wait outside Daisy’s house until 4 a.m.; I just thought he was crazy how he stayed there until 4; I would have been long gone before then. Nick suggested to Gatsby that he should just leave and forget about Daisy. That’s almost like telling me to forget about them beautiful Porsches. I just figured that Gatsby wouldn’t go down without a fight for the woman he loves. Gatsby then goes into detail about the first time him and Daisy met. He loved her youth and vitality and idolized her social position, wealth and popularity. This flashback brought up where his made up family past came into being. I just felt that he must of really liked her to change his past to match what she wanted, but I also felt that if she really loved him back, she would love him even if Gatsby was a poor boy. The butler then interrupted the story about draining the pool. Gatsby told him to not drain it because he wanted to use it. I just felt that it was just a relaxing day at the pool until the most traumatic thing happened. Turns out that George went to Tom’s house threatening him for killing his wife. Then Tom tells him that Jay killed her. So, George walks up to Gatsby at the pool and kills Gatsby and then kills himself! I just thought it was so horrible because the death of Myrtle was Daisy’s fault. Overall, I felt that this chapter had a lot of action and trauma in it.


Chapter 9
Chapter 9 of The Great Gatsby was an interesting chapter. I just thought it was so different how Nick told about it 2 years after Gatsby’s funeral happened. I also thought it was so weird how no one would come to his funeral except for his dad. I also felt that his dad just showed up out of nowhere. It does make sense though because of Gatsby’s involvement in illegal activities. When Gatsby’s funeral happens it is raining and very dreary. Only Gatsby’s dad, Nick, and Owl Eyes show up. I just thought it was horrible how no one really cared about Gatsby because he is such a good person. After all this, Nick decides to move back west because everyone is so heartless in the east. Ironically in New York, Nick runs into Tom and refuses to shake his hand. I thought that Tom was such a horrible person for sending George for Gatsby. I just felt that they could have come and paid their respects to Gatsby because he was such a good person. On the last night before Nick left, Nick imagined what the explorers thought of the new world that they found. I thought the ending was good, and really made me think back to what our founding fathers created and ho far it has come since then.

No comments:

Post a Comment